OPLI Field Center Takes Shape
The Oregon PaleoLands Institute Field Center is under construction. After an extensive search for the best location, and discussions with the Fossil School District and several property owners, the OPLI board selected a location that will make an extraordinary campus area near the historic Wheeler County Courthouse. Wheeler County purchased an existing house across the street from the Court House at 805 Adams in Fossil. Major funding for new construction is provided by a $246,000 appropriation from the U.S. Department of Commerce. U.S. Senator Ron Wyden secured the funds. The Groundbreaking Ceremony took place on August 3, 2008 with Senator Wyden turning the first golden shovel of soil.
Initial drawings by architect Rowell-Brokaw (left) suggest a 1400 square-foot space, with both exhibition and office space as well as outdoor classroom and a lab/storage.
Future Field House, with park and courthouse in background